Saturday 8 September 2012

Guest Blogger Week 29 Ami Amour




I would like to say a huge welcome
to Sharon
 from Ami Amour


Amigurumis is what got me into crocheting.  What I love about them is that they're fast and the cutest things ever!  Everytime I go to a stitch and bitch, while everyone is making such lovely blankets, scarves, or clothes, all I ever seem to make are amis!  I have a serious ami addiction.

I've been crocheting for about 6 years now.  My first ever amigurumi was an amineko which I made as a gift. I was actually amazed when I made it because I never saw myself as crafty before at all.  

I would say my design aesthetic is highly influenced by anime.  I'm now lucky to say that I've been able to make my crochet into my career now, something I would not have imagined a few years ago.  The most amigurumis I've ever made in a short amount of time is about 175 for Anime Expo in Southern California. I'm part of their Artist Alley every year.  Anyways, did my hands hurt afterwards!



This year I made my largest Amigurumi ever, a Totoro that is 4 feet high.  He took approximately 20 skeins of yarn and 30 pounds of stuffing!  We had a fun time lugging him everywhere.



I enjoy designing amigurumis because it is like problem solving for me and with each one, I learn something new.  I think it's the challenge of trying to obtain a certain shape that makes it fun.  Throughout my years of selling my plushies and patterns, I've gotten some unusual and weird requests. The sort of unusual stuff I've done is a Sphynx Cat, a Potato Spud, and Chesire Cat standing on its head.


    


Here's some recent work I've done:



I offer some free patterns on my website.  So please do check them out!

These are some of my patterns you can buy off of Ravelry.  Click on the link to see them all.


Here is where you can find me:

Email: amiamour@gmail.com
Facebook Fan page: https://www.facebook.com/amiamourfan
My website: http://www.amiamour.com
My ravelry patterns: http://www.ravelry.com/designers/ami-amour
My Etsy shop: http://amiamour.etsy.com

Thanks for reading, and come say hi and drop me a line!
Many thanks Susan for giving me an opportunity to talk about my amis!
Thank you ever so much Sharon!
Your work is fantastic.
I can't believe the size of your Totoro.
He is HUGE!!!!
Thank you for sharing it with us.
I hope you all agree Sharon's work is fantastic!
Please check out all her links!


3 comments:

  1. I love all your amigurumi. I am going to try to make the little chick and see how it goes. I made a penguin from the Lion Brand web site, and it went ok until I had to see the eyes on. Eh, I removed and replaced them and it came out OK. I am also puzzled about how tight to stuff them. http://www.ravelry.com/projects/abqmurphy/amigurumi-penguin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have forwarded your comment to Sharon.

      Delete
    2. Hi Anna,

      You want to put in enough stuffing so that the doll is able to hold it's shape. I usually try and adjust the stuffing around to make the best shape. You also don't want to pack it too much with stuffing or it starts stretching the yarn and the fiberfill can start showing through. Hope that helps! Your penguin looks lovely.

      cheers,
      Sharon

      Delete